Monday, July 4, 2016

My volunteer experience at the Laos Wildlife Rescue Center






In May 2016, I spent three weeks as a volunteer at the Laos Wildlife Rescue Center. This is a short story about my experience, also published on the Center's Facebook page.

---

It's daybreak at the Laos Wildlife Rescue Center, and I wake to a beautiful sound: the long and lingering song of a group of white-cheeked gibbons. I step out of my bungalow and am greeted by a very excited animal – the endearing and overgrown puppy Atlas has come for a very welcome visit. I meet my fellow volunteers and we gear up for the day over breakfast. The novelty still hasn’t worn off in this place – every day presents a new adventure, a fresh challenge, and unprecedented experiences.

Early on in my three-week volunteer stint, I discover the charms of “Peter”, the resident smooth-coated otter. I seem to find myself making excuses to visit his enclosure on a regular basis. Watching Peter brings me pure joy. He is popular with volunteers and staff alike, adept at drawing admiration from all who come into contact with him.

Peter enjoying his shower

Enrichment for Peter usually involves some iteration of his much-loved meal, fish. But today we shower him with the hose. I’ve been told he enjoys this activity, but it needs to be seen to be believed. He loves the spray of water so much that he starts writhing around like a puppy on the ground. I’m not sure who’s having more fun – Peter in the midst of his shower celebration, or me and my fellow volunteer who can’t stop smiling at Peter’s exuberant antics.

Later that day as I pass by his enclosure, I glimpse Peter gliding in the water of his pool, executing a perfect tumble-turn at a precise spot each time around. He is truly magnetic to watch!

One particular morning is spent cutting down jackfruit – a strangely addictive activity – and we have
Me with Kaew Kun
procured a particularly large one for Kaew Kun, a 40-year-old elephant who was formerly exploited in the tourism industry. I tell another volunteer about the first time I saw her eat jackfruit, and insist I know exactly how this will play out: “Watch her crush this with her foot in one swift move, and then eat the pieces from the ground”, I declare. Wrong.

Kaew Kun picks it up with her trunk in one quick motion, and places it in her mouth – whole. In a split second, it is gone. She then turns her attention to some bananas at her feet. The other volunteer and I stare at each other, dumbfounded. I just love the surprises at this place.

As a long term volunteer you may have the chance to assist with orphaned baby monkey care. One day we’re called upon to build a climbing frame for tiny two-month-old stump tailed macaque, Mimi. We enthusiastically deck it out with an array of features to build her strength and flexibility. Once finished, it is deemed “Mimi’s Jungle Castle”. The centre’s vet, Alice, is delighted with the results, and a week later tells us that Mimi’s agility is improving rapidly.

Easy and Boonlot

One of the other baby monkeys has challenges to overcome. Boonlot was rescued after a dog attack injured his left leg, necessitating amputation from the knee down upon his arrival at LWRC. I learn early on not to underestimate his strength and determination. Approaching his cage one morning, Boonlot is peering at me with his angel eyes.

I open the door to his cage and he joins “big sister” Easy for their morning shenanigans. His mobility is improving: he is developing incredible upper body strength, and his speed is enough to rival Easy’s gymnastics. I finally slow him enough to interest him in his bottle of milk. His frenetic pace softens and he relaxes long enough to down the bottle.


Not far from the baby monkeys are several slow lorises. They are nocturnal, so when we quietly bring food and enrichments for them we usually just sight a ball of fur in a corner, dozing away. But today one of these petite primates pokes her head out and peers at me through her saucer-like eyes with curiosity and calm. She is a delight, and I’m secretly glad that she’s breaking her sleep curfew to say hello.

Dusk is a magical time at the centre. The birds across the grounds break into song, which serves as a unique soundtrack at dinnertime. On the walk to dinner, the volunteers and I glance proudly at the green tower we painted earlier that day in the new monkey enclosure.

We can’t wait until groups of monkeys are released into the large new enclosures we’ve been preparing – we hear it’s imminent. We’ve been building wooden platforms, securing climbing structures, and fashioning hanging fixtures in preparation.
Monkey exploring her new enclosure

We don’t have to wait long. Soon, several monkeys are relocated from their training enclosure to their upgraded facility. I sit with the other volunteers to enjoy the moment. One monkey walks around gingerly, inspecting her new surroundings through curious eyes. Another climbs a tall tree at a lightning-fast pace, then swivels around to survey his new kingdom. Some inspect the perimeter of the large pool, which will provide relief on searing hot days. It’s an exciting moment.

As a volunteer at LWRC for three weeks, I had such a diverse and enriching experience working with – and for the benefit of – the animals on-site, plus the privilege of working alongside (and making friends with) a very dedicated bunch of volunteers and staff. I observed and learned something new and unique every day.

The main role of LWRC volunteers is to improve the daily lives of the resident animals, via food and environmental enrichment plus support with construction projects which enhance the enclosures of the animals.

Leaving the centre was difficult – it is a special and important place which is making amazing progress. I hope to return again next year.

As I climb into the taxi bound for the airport, along with two other volunteers leaving the same day, Atlas excitedly tries to join us in the car. Regretfully, we can’t take him with us!

Atlas


For more info about the Laos Wildlife Rescue Center, visit their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lctwildlife/

No comments:

Post a Comment